The Schtick: Longrow, one of the three producers under the Springbank umbrella of producers, is a Campeltown distiller that releases various peated expressions. This is their 18 year old release, which is part of their core line of expressions, though it comes and goes under a Limited Edition banner.
Distiller: Longrow (Springbank)
ABV: 46% ABV
Age: 18 Years
Nose: Buttery and sweet. Caramel corn, salted caramel. Honey, apples and pears. Apple pie, almost, in that there is a nice bread-y quality (the crust), sweet apples and syrupy fruits (the filling) and some nice baking spices to round it out. Really nice overall. Not much peat in the nose, if any.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. No real heat. Sweet cream, rich pepper and a touch of brine. Smoke rolls in – delicious ashy, burning wood, faint peppery peat. Mild rubber note, but very mild. Ashy all of the way.
Finish: Long finish with really gentle heat. Peppery, lots of nice apple notes continue with buttery caramel and some tobacco. Really rich, grows drying but not bitter as the finish departs.
Overall: This is a really great dram. It’s complex and delicious while balancing smoke and dessert-y sweet notes with ease.
Thanks for reading!
Other Longrow / Springbank Expressions I Have Reviewed
- Review #901 — Longrow 9yr First Fill Sauternes
- Review #787 — Longrow Peated
- Review #783 — Springbank 11yr Local Barley
- Review #778 — Springbank 15yr Demerara Rum Cask
- Review #708 — Springbank 14yr Bourbon Wood
- Review #684 — Springbank 12yr Cask Strength, Revisit
- Review #650. Springbank 15
- Review #336. Springbank Burgundy
- Review #251. Springbank 10yr Marrying Strength
- Review #243. Springbank 20yr Rum Cask
- Review #231. Longrow RED Fresh Port
- Review #217. Longrow RED Shiraz 2011
- Review #159. Springbank 14yr Cask Strength Fino Sherry
- Review #158. Springbank 12yr CS
- Review #73. Springbank 10