The Schtick: This is a core range release from Bunnahabhain. It is aged for 12 years by Bunna on Islay. About 20% of Bunna’s distillate is heavily peated, but this is an unpeated release from them. It contains 25% sherried malt and 75% malt aged in ex-bourbon.
Distiller: Bunnahabhain (Islay)
Bottler: Bunnahabhain (Islay)
ABV: 46% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: Sweet honey, fresh baked bread. Nice light oak, some pepper, a bit of sherry sweetness. Very faint pepper, tiniest whiff of smoke.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. No real heat. Sweet honey, tobacco, bread-y. Sweet fruits, sherry presence is mild but present. Light tobacco and very faint salinity and ash.
Finish: Short to medium in length, lots of currant, caramel, light bread characteristics and some pepper.
Overall: Overall, one of my favorite core line products in the space of 12yr single malts around the $55 mark. It’s sweet, and well rounded but interesting enough to enjoy an entire bottle of. A tiny bit of Bunnahabhain’s Islay character shines through, which blends well with the sweetness of the sherry and base spirit here with the ex-bourbon which makes for a really enjoyable experience.
Thanks for reading!
Other Bunnahabhain Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #785 — 2007 Bunnahabhain 10 Year Old “Old Particular” K&L Exclusive Single Barrel Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky
- Review #767 — Bunnahabhain 14yr PX
- Review #748 — Bunnahabhain 4yr Peated BattleHill
- Review #654. Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine
- Review #216. Bunnahabhain 10yr Port Cask Murray McDavid
- Review #155. Bunnahabhain 12yr
- Review #110. Bunnahabhain Signatory Vintage 2005 10 Year