The Schtick: This is from a cask at Laphroaig’s Distillery that was hand filled. It was bottled in 2018 after being distilled and barreled in 2011 and spent the entirety of its life in a first fill Oloroso cask. It is bottled at cask strength, with no coloring or filtering. It was aged in warehouse 9A.
ABV: 59.8% ABV
Age: 7 Years
Warehouse: Warehouse 9A
Nose: Vanilla cream, red berries. Big, brash smoke. Pepper, iodine, currants. Super vibrant pear, apples, lime and lemon zest with some dark cocoa and earth. Burning rubber at an all time high.
Taste: Thick, rich, syrupy fruits. Really aggressive smoke – ash, burning rubber, bandaids. Toffee, buttered popcorn, caramel. Blackberry, some currant, lingonberry and tar. As the palate wears on the fruits give way to really brash smoke.
Finish: Long, rich and smoky. Burning tar, ashy wood, more rubber here than bandaids. The sweet red fruits pop up a little before the ash consumes the rest of the finish.
Overall: Really impressively made here. It’s big, brash, rich and in your face. A really complex blend of vibrant fruit character and bold smoke and ash make this a Laphroaig for the ages.
Thanks for reading!
Other Laphroaig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #831 — Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017: Cask Strength Quarter Cask
- Review #799 — Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018: Fino Sherry Finish
- Review #732 — Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength Batch 008
- Review #640. Laphroaig 16yr Signatory Vintage 1997 Cask Strength Series KLWines Selection
- Review #46. Laphroaig PX re-review
- Review #424. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2012
- Review #271. Laphroaig Triplewood
- Review #268. Laphroaig Lore
- Review #241. Laphroaig PX
- Review #239. Laphroaig 10
- Review #234 — 237. Laphroaig Cairdeas Vertical
- Review #233. Laphroaig Cairdeas Portwood 2013
- Review #157. Laphroaig Cask Strength Batch 6
- Review #45 — Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Review #44 — Laphroaig 18 (White Tube)
- Review #43 — Laphroaig 10yr