The Schtick: This is from a cask at Laphroaig’s Distillery that was hand filled. It was bottled in 2018 after being distilled and barreled in 2006 and spent the entirety of its life in an ex-bourbon cask. It is bottled at cask strength, with no coloring or filtering. It was aged in warehouse 8. Due to the cask number, Laphroaig refers to this cask as the Devil’s Cask, which makes this the Devil’s Dram.
ABV: 58% ABV
Age: 12 Years
Nose: Rich, oily, phenols. Vanilla butter cream, rich peat and earthy smoke. Burning rubber, rotting fish and bandages. Rich charcoal smoke, some meaty notes and a bit of lemon zest.
Taste: Thick, rich, brash. Sweet honey, rich vanilla, succulent lemon meringue. Then storms the smoke. There’s some ethanol, but not too much. Burning logs, rotting fish, and rich umami. Bandages, burning rubber, brash and raw phenol covers the sweetness and turns this into an ash bomb.
Finish: Long, rich and smoky. There’s more focus on burning logs, burning tires and chemical smoke. There’s some cocoa, some toffee, some buttered popcorn and a final smoky finish that lasts for ages.
Overall: This is phenomenal. Brash, powerful, complex. Cask number aside, this would truly be a great cask to refer to the Devil’s Dram, because the smoke is overpowering and rich, blending well with the other sweeter notes. I’m a fan.
Thanks for reading!
Other Laphroaig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #949 – Laphroaig 12yr Handfill Cask 2006 #666
- Review #947 – Laphroaig 7yr Handfill Cask 2011 Oloroso #3614
- Review #831 – Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017: Cask Strength Quarter Cask
- Review #799 – Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018: Fino Sherry Finish
- Review #732 – Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength Batch 008
- Review #640. Laphroaig 16yr Signatory Vintage 1997 Cask Strength Series KLWines Selection
- Review #46. Laphroaig PX re-review
- Review #424. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2012
- Review #271. Laphroaig Triplewood
- Review #268. Laphroaig Lore
- Review #241. Laphroaig PX
- Review #239. Laphroaig 10
- Review #234 – 237. Laphroaig Cairdeas Vertical
- Review #233. Laphroaig Cairdeas Portwood 2013
- Review #157. Laphroaig Cask Strength Batch 6
- Review #45 – Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Review #44 – Laphroaig 18 (White Tube)
- Review #43 – Laphroaig 10yr