The Schtick: This is an older limited edition hailing from Bunnahabhain that was finished in Marsala casks before being bottled.
ABV: 46.3% ABV
Age: 13 Years
Nose: Honey, rich syrupy fruits. Less overstated than the PX, which is nice. Lots of apple, pear, raspberry, currant and blackberry here. Lots of bread-y sweetness, doughy and thick nose. Some caramel, butter scotch and faint brine.
Taste: Medium mouth feel. No real heat. No smoke. Sweet, honey, toffee, caramel. Vanilla bean, raspberry, pears, apples and data fruit. Well integrated here, faint brine in the background. Light tobacco character, as well.
Finish: Long, sweet, with some growing smoke. Caramel, apples, pear, vanilla, light yeast gives way to faint mineral soapstone, faint ashy smoke, and some light brine. Dynamic and interesting, without anything being too brash or aggressive.
Overall: Really nice showing from Bunnahabhain, doing something they don’t always seem to pursue: balance. This isn’t a smoke bomb, it’s not a sherry bomb, it’s a well integrated combination of dessert, fruit, ash and the sea. Well done.
Thanks for reading!
Other Bunnahabhain Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #943 — Bunnahabhain 12 Year
- Review #785 — 2007 Bunnahabhain 10 Year Old “Old Particular” K&L Exclusive Single Barrel Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky
- Review #767 — Bunnahabhain 14yr PX
- Review #748 — Bunnahabhain 4yr Peated BattleHill
- Review #654. Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine
- Review #216. Bunnahabhain 10yr Port Cask Murray McDavid
- Review #155. Bunnahabhain 12yr
- Review #110. Bunnahabhain Signatory Vintage 2005 10 Year