The Schtick: This is a limited edition annual release from Bunnahabhain that spent 8 years in a refill sherry cask, and then was moved to a first fill PX cask for the remainder of its stay. It is bottled at cask strength, with no coloring or filtering.
Distiller: Bunnahabhain (Islay)
ABV: 54.3% ABV
Age: 14 Years (2003-2017)
Nose: Rich honey, sweet brown sugar, tobacco, pralines. Jammy fruits like currant, blackberry and almost some toffee.
Taste: Rich mouthfeel, sherry, maple, tobacco, sweet, spicy and rich. Brown sugar, molasses. Very sweet here, with a whole lot going on. It’s definitely on the sweet side of the spectrum – not dosed, but it spent plenty of time in a very wet barrel. Tons of fruits like figs, currant, date fruits, blackberry. Rich and syrupy.
Finish: Long. Very little heat despite the proof. Total brown sugar and fruit bomb. Thick sticky raisin bread, pudding. Brown sugar, molasses, toffee and caramel. Figs, dates, sticky berry.
Overall: Really, really enjoyable. On the sweet side, but this has become a favorite of mine as I worked through the bottle. I previously tried this via a blind pour, and bought a bottle. I wondered if I would be enamored by the end of a full bottle as I was at the end of a single pour, and I have to say, that is the case. Great work, Bunna.
Thanks for reading!
Other Bunnahabhain Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #957 — Bunnahabhain 13yr Limited Edition Marsala Finish
- Review #943 — Bunnahabhain 12 Year
- Review #785 — 2007 Bunnahabhain 10 Year Old “Old Particular” K&L Exclusive Single Barrel Cask Strength Single Malt Whisky
- Review #767 — Bunnahabhain 14yr PX
- Review #748 — Bunnahabhain 4yr Peated BattleHill
- Review #654. Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine
- Review #216. Bunnahabhain 10yr Port Cask Murray McDavid
- Review #155. Bunnahabhain 12yr
- Review #110. Bunnahabhain Signatory Vintage 2005 10 Year