The Schtick: This is an independent bottling of Laphroaig spirit that was procured by Single Cask Nation. It was aged in a bourbon hogshead and was bottled without coloring or filtering.
This is day 4 in my mini series: Single Cask Nation Spotlight. If you missed a previous day, here ya go:
- Day 1, Tamdhu 10yr Single Cask Nation 2007 Rye Cask Finish
- Day 2, Glen Moray 12yr Single Cask Nation 2004 Madeira Cask Finish
- Day 3, Highland Park 13yr Single Cask Nation 2004 “Stones of Stenness”
Bottler: Single Cask Nation (Jewish Whisky Company)
ABV: 57.9% ABV
Age: 6 Years
Bottle: One of 312 Bottles
Maturation: Ex-Bourbon Hogshead
Nose: Honey, almonds. Strong bandages and smoke, that iodine peat presence is unmistakable. Big bright lemon zest, faint salinity and rich vanilla cream.
Taste: Thick, rich, no real heat. Sweet and loaded with vanilla cream. The peat smoke swoops in though, bringing bandages, vegetal funk, iodine and caramel with it. Big pepper also makes a strong appearance. It’s impressively sweet with lots of caramel, toffee and peanut brittle.
Finish: Short, rich and smokey. Lots of caramel and vanilla here, touch of salt, and a bright peaty finish. In your face, but doesn’t last for hours.
Overall: I really had doubts about a 5yr Frog, but this was really incredible. The caramel note was welcome and integrated very well with the profile of peat and smoke that Laphroaig sets out for. I thought this was phenomenal.
Thanks for reading!
Other Laphroaig Expressions I Have Reviewed:
- Review #949 — Laphroaig 12yr Handfill Cask 2006 #666
- Review #947 — Laphroaig 7yr Handfill Cask 2011 Oloroso #3614
- Review #831 — Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017: Cask Strength Quarter Cask
- Review #799 — Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018: Fino Sherry Finish
- Review #732 — Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength Batch 008
- Review #640. Laphroaig 16yr Signatory Vintage 1997 Cask Strength Series KLWines Selection
- Review #46. Laphroaig PX re-review
- Review #424. Laphroaig Cairdeas 2012
- Review #271. Laphroaig Triplewood
- Review #268. Laphroaig Lore
- Review #241. Laphroaig PX
- Review #239. Laphroaig 10
- Review #234 — 237. Laphroaig Cairdeas Vertical
- Review #233. Laphroaig Cairdeas Portwood 2013
- Review #157. Laphroaig Cask Strength Batch 6
- Review #45 — Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Review #44 — Laphroaig 18 (White Tube)
- Review #43 — Laphroaig 10yr