The Schtick: This is a single cask of spirit distilled by The Glenlivet that was matured in a first fill sherry cask and bottled by Signatory Vintage and selected exclusively by The Whiskey Exchange. It is bottled at cask strength at an age of 11 years old with no filtering or coloring. It was bottled specifically to commemorate the 10th annual Whiskey Exchange Whiskey Show
Distiller: The Glenlivet
Bottler: The Glenlivet
ABV: 64.3% ABV
Age: 11 Years
Bottle: One of 302 Bottles
Nose: Honey, orange, pepper, tobacco. Earthy, oddly muted despite the high proof. Very spice driven.
Taste: Thick and rich, but also hot. Not surprising given the proof. Rich tobacco, nutty sweetness, earthy tobacco, syrupy Dole fruit syrup. Bright and effervescent, without a lot of figs, currant and date fruits that I was expecting.
Finish: Long, but hot and earthy. Nutty toffee, orange peel, pepper and faint tobacco.
Overall: This was good, but too hot and peppery to me to really go nuts over like some other Glens I’ve had in the past. I have concerns about the cask used for this release, and surmise it was probably briefly seasoned, and that explains some of the shallow sherry presence.
Thanks for reading!
Other Expressions From The Glenlivet I Have Reviewed:
- Review #1069 – The Glenlivet 10yr Signatory Vintage 2007, The Whiskey Exchange Selection
- Review #993 – The Glenlivet 11yr Signatory Vintage 2007 The Whiskey Exchange
- Review #992 – The Glenlivet 11yr Signatory Vintage 2007 The Whiskey Barrel Selection
- Review #753 – The Glenlivet Founders Reserve
- Review #729 – The Glenlivet 21yr “Archive”
- Review #642. Glenlivet 9yr 2006 Signatory UCF Sherry
- Review #339. Glenlivet French Oak Reserve
- Review #329. Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso
- Review #222. Glenlivet 8yr 2006 Signatory Vintage
- Review #163. The Glenlivet 12yr